Sunday, January 8, 2012

Review of Heaven is for Heroes

Title: Heaven is for Heroes
Author: P J Sharon 
Publisher: Indie ( P J Sharon) 
Published: September 17 2011
Format: Nook Book
Source: Bought 
Price: 99 cents 

Smart and athletic seventeen year-old Jordie Dunn has a bright future planned, but when tragedy turns her life upside down, she begins to question not only her future, but the facts surrounding her brother’s death in Iraq. The military’s account that his best friend and fellow Marine, Alex Cooper, is at fault, is a notion she refuses to believe. Alex was the careful one--the shy, protective, computer geek she’s had a crush on since the ninth grade, and she knows better than anyone that her troubled brother had a dark and reckless side—a secret she’s kept for far too long.
With no memory of the incident that killed his best friend, nineteen year-old Alex Cooper returns home, shattered and facing a difficult recovery. Determined to go it alone, he pushes Jordie away. No longer the freckle-faced tom-boy who followed him and Levi around as a kid, she has become a beautiful and stubborn young woman who believes in him far more than he deserves.
While Jordie’s unique approach to rehab pushes Alex to extremes, the two discover that their childhood friendship has grown into more. The attraction has Jordie’s head spinning and her heart soaring, but Alex struggles to deal with his guilt, his loss, and the nightmares that continue to haunt him. Even though Jordie is determined to help him heal, and even more determined to find the truth, what she doesn’t expect, is to find love.

 The girl on the cover is nothing like I pictured Jordie. Not at all. Maybe it was the eyes that messed me up. Yet the cover doesn't take away from the story. Although it doesn't get a 5 star rating it is a decent cover. 
  It does incorporate Cooper's Blonde hair and  Jordie's red hair that is curly and unruly. So atleast the characters looks looked appropriate. 
3/5 Ereaders 
     I started this one off by crying. Yes, this is an absolute tear-jerker and I really did spread tears across my tablet's screen. Though sad it was well written and had a perfect plot. In fact I don't remember skipping a page once which I do in even my favorite of books. So this one was beautifully written and the characters were likable. 
  My favorite character , Alex also known as Coop to Jordie,  was in denial and was pushing everyone away. After losing his leg he was holding the guilt that he had killed his best friend, Lee, when he led him into a building against orders. Then comes in Jordie taking Coop on a ride to emotional recovery and a little bit of physical whether he likes it or not.  That is the thing with Jordie she is so stubborn and always tries not to mop around like everyone else is the book tries to do minus  Sarge who can brighten up any ones day.  Another thing is that Jordie didn't believe Coop killed Levi, she never believed it. I am not saying if Levi killed himself or Alex did because I will not ruin it. 
   Yes P J Sharon has done a great job on writing this book and the Romance developed between Coop and Jordie with an equal bit of friendship involved. What I enjoyed the most was Levi's letters written in the end. They were so gushy I cried my eyes out in this book. It is a runner up to Angela Morrison's amazing Sing Me To Sleep on making me cry. 
   What hurt me also was when Alex left to go somewhere. I thought  Oh God there goes my favorite character. Dead is how he is going to come back.  Thank the Lord above he didn't die... It would have broken my heart if he would have died. 
   So this book was a mixture of sad and sweet. It is an all the way amazing. The author's debut novel will blow anyone away. If you are a contemporary freak  like me, then diffidently give this books a spot on your ereader. It has really crawled its way into my reading heart. It even got me to buy On Thin Ice, which I really liked and will have the review up soon enough. I will definatly be watching the ebook market for more of P J Sharon's books. A New Voice that Rocks YA is this author. :) 


Over all review 5/5 ereaders :) 


Here is a Short Excerpt : 

  
The sun sat low in the sky, an orange ball that promised another hot, steamy day ahead. I threw my towel onto a rock and kicked off my boots, the warm sand inviting under my toes. I shimmied out of my shorts and waded into the pond up to my thighs. A cold chill trickled up my spine. I thought of Alex for the millionth time in the last week, my heart taking another plunge into the depths of despair. I released a frustrated groan. I hated being this out of control of my emotions. Maybe he had found closure in telling me to take a hike, but I didn’t get to say what I wanted to say...should have said...needed to say. Instead I had pleaded like a pathetic, love sick little girl.


     Angry with myself as much as I was Alex, I gave voice to my rage. "“You stubborn, pig-headed, pain-in-the-ass …jerk!”" I yelled to the leaves on the maple tree nearby. I felt stupid, but it was good to vent. A smidgeon of tension dropped from my shoulders. I did it again. "“How could you be so selfish?"” I shouted. “"How could you walk away from the one person who knows you best… and still LOVES you…...even though you are maddeningly stubborn and...…and emotionally…...immature!"” I screamed. A flock of geese took flight off the surface of the still water.


      I had to laugh at myself. Not because I was wrong, really, but because it was a terribly one-sided argument and I was acting a bit like an irrational shrew. It felt good not to have to hold back, —constantly trying to be what Mom and Brig and...…Alex… needed me to be.


     I sank under the water up to my chin and felt the chill all the way to my bones, all of the heat I’'d built up cooling instantly. I couldn'’t be mad at him. He was an honorable guy who thought he was doing the right thing by taking responsibility for a mistake. A part of me still couldn'’t believe it was Alex’'s fault. Where Levi was concerned, anything could have happened.


      But the other part of me--—the part that had worried about my brother and lied to protect him--knew that if Levi walked willingly to his death, my silence was the lie that made it possible. Maybe that was the truth I was trying to get



  Find Shannon at : 
 Her Website 
 Her Blog
Her Twitter


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lovely review, Courtney. Is it wrong of me to be happy that I made you cry? LOL
    I'm working on revisions to my third book, SAVAGE CINDERELLA, which will be out in March.

    Blessings,
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an awesome book! why did you decide to give it 3 stars?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I gave the COVER a 3 stars. I loved the book and it was definatly 5 stars I just couldn't find my little image that has 5 ereaders... Looks like I will be scanning my tablet tonight to fix this. :)

    ReplyDelete