Saturday, January 28, 2012

Review: Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys

Title: Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys
Author: Kate Brian 
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Published: September 5th 2006


Source: Bookswap with my friend Sarah @Escaping Through Books'
Rating:  4.5/ 5 ereaders 

When she was nine, Megan Meade met a group of terrible, mean, Popsicle-goo-covered boys, the sons of her father's friend -- the McGowan boys. Now, seven years later, Megan's army doctor parents are shipping off to Korea and Megan is being sent to live with the little monsters, who are older now and quite different than she remembered them.

Living in a house with seven boys will give Megan, who has never even been kissed, the perfect opportunity to learn everything there is to know about boys. And she'll send all her notes to her best friend, Tracy, in...

Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys

    Observation #1: Being an army brat sucks. Except that this is definitely a better alternative to moving to Korea.
    Observation #2: Forget evil, laughing, little monsters. These guys have been touched by the Abercrombie gods. They are a blur of toned, suntanned perfection.
    Observation #3: I need a lock on my door. STAT.
    Observation #4: Three words: six-pack abs.
    Observation #5: Do not even get me started on the state of the bathroom. I'm thinking of calling in a hazmat team. Seriously.
    Observation #6: These boys know how to make enemies. Big time.    Megan Meade will have to juggle a new school, a new family, a new crush -- on the boy next door, as in next bedroom door -- and a new life. Will she survive the McGowan boys?

  My thoughts about the cover is that it is very ... 2006ish. So it is not  a drop dead gorgeous picture and the outfits are a little out dated - or atleast the sweater is. But the book itself take away all the thoughts about the cover. With four of the McGowan boys in the background of this cover is really what makes it pop - after you read it. Although it is not one I would lust over, it matches the plot and would probably draw the attention of a breezy summer read. And it was I quick summer read even though I read it on January the 2nd. 
                 
  I L-O-V-E-D all the McGowan boys.  I laughed like a maniac when I read through this. I finished this book within hours of reading and my love was overflowing from this story. The beginning was my favorite. I would gladly of trade with Megan to go live with the McGowan kids- minus the stinker pot little kid. I probaly would have killed him if he did that to my clothes ( read the book to find out what I am rambling about.) and if a guy helped me pick up those kind of things and I had a tiny crush on him. (also read the book or read my spoiler edition review on goodreads.  Just saying that all of the teenage guys in that house were like Abercrombie Models but they all had different personalities that let you get a good variety of McGowan's to choose from. They have one for every taste: Popular,Artistic,Bad Boy, Pimp..... (I personally went for Flinn the artistic one..))
  The plot was defiantly something that is knew for me because there was kinda a love triangle and kinda not. Yet it would make for the perfect laughing-in-the-middle-of-summer-on-the-beach -and-people-think-you-are-crazy-like-a-girl-named-Courtney-Wyant-From-Mississippi.  You would think it would be the Girl likes Boy but boy denies her or they make out and parents find them making out. It is defiantly more indepth than that. In fact I really didn't know if Megan was going to end up with any of the boys or not til the last 50 pages. The boy she ends up with is ................................... ( read the book to find out :) ) 
Find Kate at: Website 
Buy Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys: 
            Barnes and Noble , Amazon  ,  Books A Million Book Depository   
                                                        OR   
    Buy your copy used at Abes Books  for 3.16 including shipping :) 

2 comments:

  1. I am looking for a light read right now and this book sounds perfect. I love your review. The book sounds funny and interesting!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I just followed you via GFC!

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your cover thoughts. My publisher and I are working on a cover and it's high stress to get it right! Great blog you have here. Take care.

    ReplyDelete