Friday, September 9, 2011

Interview with Renee Carter





2) If you had to pick a favorite character out of His Eyes, who would it be?
Chris is definitely my favorite character. He’s a great little brother who clearly adores Tristan, but he also has a cute sassy streak.

3) Can you tell us how you got published by Outskirts Press?
His Eyes is a book that I indie-published in paperback with the help of Outskirts Press. I also published His Eyes in eBook form through Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

4) What was process to publishing His Eyes?
It took me a while to decide I wanted to indie-publish His Eyes; publishing a book yourself takes a lot of work. I had help editing, but did my own text layout, cover design, and marketing. The process was totally worthwhile when I saw the first reviews on Amazon and knew that my book was reaching an audience who enjoyed what I had written.

5) Who is your favorite author?

Jane Austen will always be my favorite romantic writer.

6) What is your advice for the writers of the world? (This is for a page I am working on)
Never underestimate how valuable the Internet is as a resource for reaching potential readers. I’m so excited when I get feedback from a reader in another country. It wouldn’t have been possible for an indie author fifteen years ago.

7) How long does it take you to write a book?
I wrote the first draft of His Eyes in three months and then proceeded to revise it for the next three years.

8) Do you have a most-obsessed fan?
I love getting emails from fans, but I don’t know if I have a most-obsessed fan…except maybe my mom. She probably asks me about my writing more often than anyone else.

9) If you had to grab one book and your house is on fire, which one would it be?
I would take the Bible from my nightstand and the antique copy of Pride and Prejudice that my husband gave to me when he proposed.

10) What age did you start to get into writing?
When I was 8, I started writing a chapter book about a girl who learns that cookies can talk. Before that, I used to tell stories into a cassette recorder and use my dolls as props.

11) What can you tell me about Masked?
The heroine of Masked is the opposite of Amy from His Eyes. Amy isn't really concerned with what people think of her and she's into helping others out. Sierra comes off as shallow and selfish. Only when she meets Nom, a disfigured boy who's below her league, do we begin to see that there may be another side to her.

12) Who inspired you to start writing?
I was homeschooled when I was little and for my second grade English project, my mom started helping me write a simple chapter book about a princess bunny. Writing with her got me excited about creating my own stories.

13) Is there anything in His Eyes that you wished you would have changed before it got published?
As a writer, I think it’s difficult to ever be completely satisfied with something you’ve written.

14) If you had to pick an author to write with, dead or alive, who would it be?
I loved Meg Cabot’s books when I was younger and I think she’s inspirational for female YA writers. She has a great writing voice, so I’m sure she would be a blast to write with.

15) Could you tell us a little bit about you?
Currently, I’m living in Wisconsin with my husband. My day job involves creating digital media and editing for a corporate website. In my spare time, I love reading good young adult sci fi/fantasy novels.

Well that was my interview with the delightful Renee Carter whos book His Eyes you can purchase at Amazon and  Barnes and Nobles both in either paperback or ebook form. Also check out Renee's Website

1 comment:

  1. Pretty cool! And I love Jane Austen too:) We seem to have similar taste in books

    http://www.book-spark.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete