Thursday, February 16, 2012

Review: The Moon Coin

Title: The Moon Coin
Series: Moon Realm Novel
Illustrator: Carolyn Arcabascio
Publisher: Gibbering Gnome Press
Published: September 10, 2011 
Format: Ebook
Source: Richard for Review 

Once upon a time, Lily and Jasper Winter had an uncle named Ebb. He liked to tell tales of a place called the Moon Realm, where nine moons swirled around one another, each inhabited by strange and wondrous beings: magical lunamancers; undersea merfolk; wise birds; winged dragons; and Lily’s favorite, the heroic, leonine Rinn: =^..^=. Uncle Ebb had quite the imagination. 

Now, nine years after the tales began, he’s missing. Soon, so is Lily, transported to the Moon Realm by a mysterious coin. 

But this Moon Realm is different. Here, a villain named Wrengfoul and his evil minions are attacking the other moons, stripping away what little magic remains. Had Uncle Ebb just been spinning tales of how he wanted things to be? Where did the truth begin and the fantasy end? And how will Lily ever get home? 

In his brilliantly plotted debut novel, Richard Due introduces us to Lily and Jasper Winter, a pair of smart, observant teens growing up on an old Pennsylvania tree farm with their parents and uncle; a pair of geriatric botanists; a big shaggy dog; and an overly inquisitive cat named Tarzanna. Growing up on Treling wasn’t really so out of the ordinary, except for Ebb’s strange house, and his wonderful bedtime stories. Until, that is, the day Lily found herself in the Moon Realm, in a dystopian version of those same stories—er—tales, definitely tales. 

Featuring twenty-two stunning full-color illustrations by Carolyn Arcabascio. Volume One of the young adult fantasy adventure series The Moon Realm. 


  The cover for this book looks Middle Grade and that is the audience this book is trying to capture so with that the cover artist(s) did an excellent job. Although it isn't just drop dead gorgeous like romance novels try to get theirs to look like. This one captures the ideas of the story line. So ,yes, I really enjoy the cover on this book. I think it would even make a lovely shelf candy piece ;)

   *Quick note to author: I, Courtney Elizabeth Wyant, give you full permission to throttle me for not getting this review up. I am so sorry about that and I wish that I could make it up to you. I made a promise I didn't keep and feel extremely guilty. So, Richard, I give you full permission to throttle me although I must say I love to live. ;) 

    This is one of the best fantasies I have read in a while. It is also one of the best Middle Grades I have ever read. This book really did draw me out of my normal comfort zone but it surprised me how much I really enjoyed it. I am very happy to have read the book and am even more happy to give it a good review.


  My comfort zone consists of romances and that is about it. I usually stay in my boundries but I decided to put down my walls for this novel. This was an excellent way for me to keep putting my walls down. Though no romance I go to a different world that is so well written that I felt like I was there.

   So Richards book is addicting and I will definatly be recommending to my lovely reading buddies at school who still read MG, which is surprisingly high. So this book was definatly one of the best MG I have read in a long while :)

Buy at: B&;N , Amazon , and Ibookstore.

Find Richard at: Website .
                                         

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the lovely review, Courtney!

    Also—THERE WILL BE NO THROTTLING! :)

    ReplyDelete