Friday, January 11, 2013

Review: Tight Knit by Allie Brennan

Title: Tight Knit
Author: Allie Brennan
Publisher: Allie B Books (Indie)
Pubished: December 30, 2012
Source:  From Author For Review
Rating:  5/5  Nooks
Reviewer:  Courtney
    Talia Gregory relies on her Nan for everything, especially helping her calm the anxiety that controls her life. But Nan gets sick, and it couldn’t be worse timing. Talia’s panic attacks are getting worse, her boyfriend is a jerk, her best friend is distant, her parents are more absent than usual and she’s stuck planning the Cozy Christmas Charity Drive for her knitting group in place of Nan. If that’s not panic inducing enough, enter Lachlan.

Lachlan McCreedy doesn’t rely on anyone. Not after what he’s been through. It’s him and Gram, nothing else matters but keeping his past buried, and his secrets hidden. So when Gram forces him to help with her Christmas sale, Talia is the last thing he expected, and trusting her with his secrets comes as a shock to both of them. But when he unexpectedly falls for her, the question becomes can he trust her with his heart?


      I haven't done a Cover Thoughts in what feels like decades.  Well, this book deserves it because a) the amazing Allie did it herself and b) because it is so beautiful that it deserves a shrine dedicated  to it.   In other words here is how I think of it:  


      The cover is so friggin' gorgeous.  I personally love it for the beautiful editing, the non-half-nude cover model, and the amazing beanie on the cover model's head.  Which I believe is Talia, in fact if it isn't Talia, that would be a very, very feminine Lachlan.  

The hat is a very important part of the book is hats.  Hats.  And more hats.   Talia knits hats, and she even knitted a hat Georgana "bought/stole" from Talia and gave it to her grandson, Lachlan.  Which set fire to the romance in Tight Knit.
    The only thing that I wished for the book is that there was Lachlan on the cover also, but with just Talia on it, it is still one of my favorite covers this year.

    My reaction when I finished the book:
   
    
   It isn't because the book was ultra-sad, even though it did have some very, very heart wrenching scenes that broke your heart into tiny pieces, but because I was so disappointed that it was over.  The book grabbed me by the hair and took me on an amazing ride on a motorcycle down Allie B Books BLVD.
  
     Simplity made this book a complete success.  Allie wrote a YA book with the style of an author that has 40 books out, and the characterization was phenomenal for a debut author.

   The wording wasn't forced as I sometimes find Debut authors doing after the first few chapters to just get some dialog in.  The characters said and did things in character, and we matured and grew with them in that short few month period. The way the characters matured through different events without out over an over cliche scene. Well, that is a mirical on its own.

    Then the plot.  Not the typical good-girl-meets-bad-boy=romance.  Talia  suffers from severe anxiety and panic attacks.  Usually the panic attacks create a barrier for her to talk to other kids her age, so she takes up knitting with her Nan.  What is more awesome than a teen knitting?  Nothing!
    
  Then steps in my Lachlan.  Bad boy extrodinare with a shady past.  Tattoos covering his arm ,and made irresistible for us book boyfriend hoarders.  He has his flaw as does Talia. They slowly build a relationship.

    Oh, and then it has Talia's name.  Which means she needs to read it, because there is an amazing female protagnist.  Which brings me to question why must all the mean girls in books have to be called Courtney?  I have read 5 books where the mean girl is named Courtney.  I'm not that mean. :P
  


 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review. I love the cover too. I entered the contest on GoodReads to win it. Fingers crossed that I do!

    I hope you had an AMAZING birthday, Miss Courtney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. online slots
    This was such a highly effective visitor publish. As an ambitious writer, being rejected is always terrifying (yet so possible) result - if I ever posted my guide, of course. I appreciate Jill for discussing her issues, and I'm so grateful that she made the decision to look previous the denials and perform around them and get her guide out there. That was amazingly brave! Asylum looks fairly exciting, too, so I'll be maintaining an eye out for your evaluation.

    Thanks for discussing, you two!

    ReplyDelete