Monday, December 10, 2012

Review: The Mark of the Golden Dragon by L A Meyer

Title: The Mark of the Golden Dragon
Series: A Bloody Jack Adventure (Book #9)
Author:  L. A. Meyer
Published: October 4, 2011
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Purchase from: Amazon, B&N , Book Depository  

Jacky Faber, soldier, sailor, spy, and sometime pirate, condemned for life to the English prison colony in Australia for high crimes against the Crown, has once again wriggled out of the grasp of British authorities. Back on her flagship, the Lorelei Lee, she happily heads back to England in the company of dear friends and her beloved Jaimy Fletcher.

However, due to a typhoon, an earthquake, tidal waves, pirates, and her own impetuous nature, Jacky is cast into a world of danger that extends from the South China Sea to the equally treacherous waters of politics in London's smoky dens of intrigue, deception, and betrayal.

Can she save herself from recapture and a final trip to the gallows? Can she also save her own dear Jaimy from the madness that seems to be overtaking his tortured mind? Devious Chinese businessmen, willowy Eurasian maidens, fierce Gurkhas, loyal friends, and wildly romantic highwaymen are all involved in this tale of love, courage, and redemption.


    My reaction when I first started the series when I was 11 ,and when I just finished the first book:
My reaction now that I am almost 14 and the series just goes on and on and on ,and I just finished the 9th book :


   Am I the only one who just think the author has dragged out the series 5 books too many?  I mean honestly the first 5 were amazing.  The protagonist, Jacky, wasn't so cocky, you just wanted to throw the book down so you wouldn't have to listen to her .  I miss the Ship's boy, Jacky who fell head over heels with Jaimy Fletcher.  I miss the too small, tiny blonde girl.  What the heck happened? 
   
  This book starts off with Jacky and her little boy from an island being dropped off in a port and coming face to face with a tiger.  And living to tell the tale.  While in reality, Jacky, you would have been eaten alive and made the tiger a very nice salty sandwich.  And I think I would have liked the ending if that happened better than this series dragging on.

    I think the one of the only reasons I am giving this book a 3 stars is that it has a retelling of The Highwaymen.  One of my favorite poems.  Which brings me to another part in the story that made me want to jump in and grab a character by the ear- this time our male love interest Jaimey Flether.  How could he fall in love with another woman after only losing Jacky for only a month.  No man can say that they were absolutely in love with the first women when they move on just like that.
    
    The  other reason is because it has my favorite character in the whole book, that was introduced to us in the Mississippi Jack book. Here comes my beautiful, sexy Lord Richard from the Dragoons.  Now if you haven't invested your time or money into the books, I recommend you read yourself the series up to Mississippi Jack.  It seemed to be one of my favorites and we got introduced to Lord Richard.

    Ah, Richard, was once in the unknown American wilderness when he met the infamous Jacky Faber.  He was one of the million reasons Jacky and Jaimy haven't gotten married yet.  If I was Jacky, at this point in her life,  I would have just settled for Richard Allen and just leave Jaimey alone instead of trying to find him in every freakin' corner of the earth.  Alone, Jacky, alone.   You and Richard could be living in the West Indies with 15 blonde boys running around with sabers instead of being a pain in my butt.  I'm sure Richard would agree with me a 100%.

The author writing style and the dialog is good, yet sometimes over drawn. I say if the author put an end here with Jacky and Jaimey- or at this point she could end up with someone of the same gender.  I don't care, just end the books so that you don't ruin the series more than they already are.   At this point it feels like the author just doesn't want to end the series and is dragging it out longer and longer.

  Book 10 is already out, and from the reviews I have been reading, it sounds like the series continues. This is my reaction now that I hear it isn't going to end soon to Louis, the author.


The actual rating is 2.5 stars, but it rounds up.




No comments:

Post a Comment